Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Good Saturday

Hello, Internets! I'm back again. Erich and I have been very busy lately. Two weekends ago we spent two days in Michigan for my family reunion on my dad's side (and we went to the beach on Sunday! Oh, how glorious!), the following weekend we went to Evansville for our niece's baptism (forthcoming post on that, I promise), and in between, we did some house sitting for our friends in a neighboring town. THEN, this past Sunday, we were off to Michigan again to spend time with Erich's grandparents and Evansville immediate family members. Out of the 19 nights between July 19 and August 7, we only slept four of those at home. That was pushing it for this homebody. While I enjoyed all the time we spent away, it is REALLY good to be home.

Anyway, today was the first time in a while where Erich and I could have a normal summer Saturday, and I think we spent it quite well.

First, we got up around 8:30. That's just perfect because we got to sleep in a little, but not so much that we wasted half the morning. I came downstairs to Erich cooking an inventive concoction involving eggs, potatoes, and cheese. It was delicious! Good job, Erich.

Soon after breakfast we serviced our bicycles a bit then rode downtown to the library. I had a notion in my head to try to watch as many Batman movies as we can for fun, since we enjoyed The Dark Knight so much, but alas, the library was completely out of all Batman movies. Apparently I wasn't the only one with that idea. But, I did pick up the much-heralded Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration, Raising Sand, and have listened to it a bit. Not bad!

From the library we biked to the farmer's market and got some fresh fixin's for this week's meals. There's something so fresh and quaint and wonderful about purchasing fresh veggies straight from the farmers. And did I mention delicious? I love summer.

Then we went home to bum around the house a bit. Erich turned on the Olympics and they were showing women's beach volleyball. Let me tell you, though I enjoy watching the sport and I highly admire the skill displayed by the athletes, I found myself asking why women's beach volleyball was being featured in the middle of the day on a Saturday. I'm pretty sure this is why:

Every straight man's dream, right? In other news, maybe I should take up full-time beach volleyball. That would fulfill two highly desirable things for me: spending time on the beach and having a perfect body. I suppose I'd have to do a lot of work, though, wouldn't I?

The rest of the day was even less eventful, except for when I went to church to sing the Psalm at the evening service. Erich and I cooked a tasty dinner of grilled chicken, green beans and glazed carrots. Still, I feel like this day had everything: good food, bike-riding, shopping, and PLENTY of time to just veg. I am really, really going to miss summer.

No comments: