Saturday, January 8, 2011

Baby New Year

Lily is One! This seems to hold more significance to me than New Years this year.

I've been doing a little spring cleaning on the ol' Facebook and Google Reader. Once I start purging a bit, it's increasingly easy to be merciless. I don't want to give up FB entirely, but I also don't even want to see a single entry that I don't at least moderately care about. I defriended a bunch and I hid even more.

As for Reader, I'm moving further and further away from my previous way of thinking, the idea that it's really no big deal if I just scroll past entries on a blog I'm subscribed to because it's worth not missing something that will interest me. That may even be true in a mathematical analysis kind of way, but psychologically it's way too taxing. And the busier my almost-walker gets, the less I want to feel obligated to spend a certain amount of time on the internet.

And while I'm at it, I don't want to keep my netbook on the dining room table any more. Instead of reading the books and magazines I enjoy, I end up wasting too much time on the internet on things that rot my brain, watching the mess grow in my vicinity, losing the will to clean it up so my husband and I have a decent area in which to dine. If do my internetting on my comfy chair with no mess-catching table nearby and no easy ability to eat a meal or a snack in the meantime, I'm disinclined to stay too long. (That's the working theory at this point, anyway.)

This is less a resolution than an epiphany--fitting, given the season! But really, I know I need to waste less time on the internet. It's time to change my habits to support that idea.

I'm feeling like I'm on a roll. Life isn't all roses all the time, but for the first time since I got married, I feel like my daily habits aren't making me fatter by the week. Having an increasingly mobile youngster has everything to do with that. I think it would be foolish to waste this window of well-being. I'm going to keep pushing onward, making daily, tiny improvements, because at this moment, I think I can.


(...until I, by my works, gain heaven! Hahahaha, I kid.)

No comments: