Saturday, June 14, 2008

Moments in Spain: Oh, How I Love Beaches

I don't know what it is about a beach that just pulls me in. I could stare at it all day. My spirit flies off into the deep blue and I'm in a very happy place.

Erich and I arrived in Spain around noon on a Friday. We had left a very snowy Chicago the night before. On Saturday morning, we boarded a bus to San Sebastien. The weather was chilly but the skies were clear--a promising day. We arrived in San Sebastien and walked from the bus station to our hotel. We got checked in, etc., then went to explore the town. We walked not a hundred paces out the front door of our hotel before we saw this. It was about 70 degrees and clear as can be. I was temporarily in heaven.


This was exactly what I needed. A little retreat from the winter at home that seemed to have no end. Just staring at the waves was like an antidote to the emptiness I still felt only six weeks after my devastating miscarriage. The long hours of travel through cold and snow just melted away in the abundant sunshine and beautiful colors of San Sebastien.

We didn't even walk on the sand. I didn't dip my feet in the water. All I needed was a look. I probably stood there for a good fifteen minutes, taking pictures and soaking it in. It was more refreshing than a cold glass of water on a hot day. Thank you, God, for beaches!

I mean, what could be better than this?



Hmmm... still needs something.... I've got it!
....Perfect!


Don't you just want to paint this?


Outside the protected harbor, the seas weren't so friendly:




Sunset on a perfect day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amazing pics. i would agree--those would be welcome sights after a long winter, as much as i love snow!

i have to ask--did you sing a song about how you love beaches that sounds amazingly familiar to a love jesus song while you typed the title?