Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Thoughts

Erich and I chose to wear black today. This is an historic day, to be sure: as is the inauguration of ANY new president, and as was September 11, 2001. Historic days can be not so good.

Frankly, I don't have much to say. At least, nothing that Cheryl at Round Unvarnish'd Tale or Elephant's Child haven't already said much better.

It's just that the whole HISTORY!!!!!!! part of this day doesn't really affect me. It's very nice and special that this is our first African-American president... but it was never about race for me, and I don't know a single person who supported John McCain because they were racist. I absolutely resent the notion that I should shut up with my criticisms and enjoy the day because it's HISTORY.

I didn't vote for BO because I don't like his ideas. I don't like what he stands for. America doesn't need to be fundamentally changed. I roundly disagree with his grasp of economics--not just the current economy, but economics in general. And I am appalled at his attitude toward the unborn. (And I really, really don't care what Michelle's "First Lady Style" is going to be all about. Why should I?) So pardon me for not feeling celebratory today.

I didn't watch the Inauguration because I was playing organ for a church service. It felt like the right place to be after all, praying for the future of our country.

No comments: