Friday, December 12, 2008

All About Christmas

You're right, Cheryl, I can't resist!

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Impossible to choose. Egg nog is so artery-cloggingly horrible for humans, but it's delish. I have hot chocolate more often, though.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Um, both? I guess Santa doesn't really come to our house yet. I keep wrapped presents under the tiny tree until we give them away.

Colored lights on tree or white? I'd prefer white to the ugly colored ones we have right now--they're too blindingly LED-ish with ugly shades. I like traditional colored and white equally.

When do you put your decorations up? When I get around to it. This past Wednesday, to be exact.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Too hard to choose. But with my dad's family, we always had green beans with Cracker Meal. Those stick out in my memory, so they must be a favorite!

Favorite holiday memory as a child: Eager anticipation: waiting for Santa to come, waiting for my aunts and uncles and cousins to arrive at my Grandma's house on Christmas day, the sooner to open presents. And it was especially exciting whenever there was snow on the ground. :)

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My mom and I have always been close. When I was seven, I was starting to suspect that the big guy wasn't real. Him never coming to our house on Christmas was part of it (we were always in Michigan for Christmas day). But anyway, my mom confirmed it that year when I was riding with her in our family van and she was going down the list of all the things she had to do, including wrapping the Santa presents. OOOPS! I assured her it was okay, I kinda knew.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I've been adrift in the world of Christmas traditions for several years now. Short answer: no.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Right now we have a super small tree with one string of ugly lights and chrystal beaded garland on it. And I hung childhood ornaments of Erich's and mine on it this year. I hope we can have a big tree next year.

Snow! Love it or dread it? I oscillate between the two. Mostly love, but not in March and definitely not April (I'm looking at YOU, 2005 and 2008.)

Can you ice skate? Here's where I get to sound snobby: I've only been ice skating once, and it was a November evening in Budapest in an open air rink, surrounded by floodlit old buildings. Loved it. So, yes, I can skate.

What was your favorite gift? Tough question! Erich bought me perfume a few years ago, my first fancy perfume: Burberry Brit. I like it.

What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Church on Christmas Eve. To quote Linus: "That's what Christmas is all about." This was Cheryl's answer. I'm keeping it.

What is your favorite holiday dessert? My mom makes a wreath made of corn flakes and marshmallow dyed green. One of my clear faves, along with pumpkin pie.

What is your favorite tradition? Again, adrift in a sea of traditions until Erich and I can really start some of our own. No two Christmases have abeen alike for me in a while. I'll get back to you in a few years; I can't pick one now!

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Honestly, I'm enjoying the giving more now that I'm a grown-up. :)

What is your favorite secular Christmas song? Let's go with LEAST favorite: Rudolf, Frosty, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Holly Jolly Christmas.

What is your favorite Advent hymn? Savior of the Nations, Come. It's just the best, period.

What is your favorite Christmas hymn? I've always loved O Come, All Ye Faithful, but there are just so many wonderful hymns and carols, so, again, hard to pick.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Whatever.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? No, not that I can remember.


No comments: