Saturday, February 14, 2009

My V-Day

Have I ever told you about how great my husband is? Well, he's great.

I really wasn't expecting anything for Valentine's Day. We haven't done much beyond a nice dinner out (not on the actual day, of course) in the past. And last year, V-Day was ruined by our first miscarriage. Furthermore, we had discussed going to see a local production of Miss Saigon, but Erich was totally leaving it up to me to figure out when and get tickets. I thought that if Valentine's Day was going to be a thing, it was going to be up to me. And I really don't want to be the one demanding that Valentine's Day be assigned some special love meaning when it's really just a made-up greeting card holiday. Oh, the inner conflict!

My husband is a manly man, by which I mean he is too practical to buy me flowers (which are pretty and nice to have around) or jewelry, which doesn't have to be expensive at all--I would just like to wear something meaningful from my husband. Like, besides my rings.... :)

I'm reeeeally not complaining. He's perfect in every other way, so it's only natural that it's taken me this long to find something I would tweak ever so slightly if I could. That is, I would have until today.

Late last night, after getting home from a night out, Erich dragged me upstairs to his closet to have me open something. It was a small box in a paper bag. Jewelry! What kind?? Diamond earrings! I was beyond shocked...in a good way.

Then this afternoon, after we had been at church all day, I had to stay even longer to play organ for the evening service. Erich thought he might like to go out to eat, so he decided to see if we could possibly get into a restaurant, even without reservations. Since I never got a text message, I had to wait and see when I got home if we were going out.

When I walked in the door, I was greeted by a wonderful smell. Pot roast! Butternut squash soup! Asparagus! Rioja Reserve red wine! Fresh bread! Dark chocolate for desert! Fresh flowers in a vase!

An impromptu home-cooked fancy yet simple meal. And I was so glad we weren't going out anyway because I'm totally beat.

Okay, I'll stop before you all break your monitors out of jealousy. This was, quite possibly, the best Valentimes ever!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Let's give credit where credit is due. To Sammy, who birthed this wonderment, and to Elaine, for finding him. 'nuff said.

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

That is SO cute!
Way to go Erich!
What shape are the earrings?
i'm glad you had a nice Valentimes!

Susan K said...

Yep, he's a winner. :) The earrings are just small round studs. But they are beautiful!