Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hawai'i, Part 7: Out on the Town

We got home from Hawai'i just under a year ago. My last post about it was over nine months ago. Yikes! But, as the title of this blog suggests, I can do whatever I want with MY blog. I've been thinking about Hawai'i a lot these days since we were getting ready for it a year ago, so here's another installment, long overdue:

In addition to the lu'au at the Polynesian Cultural Center, we had a few memorable nights out to get the full Hawai'ian experience.

One place we went early on was La Mariana Sailing Club in Honolulu. We liked it so much, we went back when we got back from the Big Island. Our guide book had described as a place right out of the fifties, and it did not disappoint.


We sat inside, but we may as well have been on the lana'i. We could feel the breeze and watch the sunset from our cozy table, sipping our mai tais with the mini-umbrellas.


Some blind musicians serenaded the few guests. The building had the feel of a cross between some kind of hut and a garden party. The setting was so fun yet relaxing...


This picture just says it all. The pint of beer with the "hang loose" hand sign on the glass, the look of utter serenity on my new husband's face. This was ultimate "wedding recovery." We never wanted to leave.


I caught a picture of this little bugger crawling around the walls and ceiling.


The sun sets beyond the sailboats.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of any of the food we had at La Mariana. And actually, our entrées weren't anything to write home about--or blog about. But the poke! Have I mentioned poke (pronounced po'-kee) yet? It was our favorite Hawai'ian dish, and we had it for the first time as a pupu (appetizer) at La Mariana. Sesame oil-marinated raw ahi tuna with seaweed and green onions on a bed of shredded cabbage... we were in heaven. When we went back a week later, it was for the poke and mai tais.

Our other big Hawai'ian night out was on our last night in Hawai'i. We went to Germaine's Lu'au, which was not quite as culturally accurate as the PCC's lu'au, but at least they served adult beverages. Most of the Germaine's guests came on a bus from Waikiki, but since Erich and I had a car and the lu'au was closer to our part of O'ahu anyway, we drove.


We got their early enough to get a pretty decent spot. Interesting tidbit: the outfit I'm wearing in this picture is the outfit I bought for and wore on Erich's and my first date!

Another great thing about Germaine's was how close it was to the ocean. This beach was far too rocky to be safe for walking or swimming, but it was nice to look at and photograph:



I can't decide which of the next two photos I like better. What do you think?



One thing is certain: Pacific sunsets are the best.

Last but not least, Germaine's put on a good show. Enjoy this clip and please excuse my shaky camerawork:




No comments: