Friday, September 26, 2008

Wedding Memories: Here Comes the Dress


I had done everything I could think to do before submitting myself to the dress.

Many people knew that I chose to wear my mother's dress for the ceremony. I always loved how simple and classic her ivory dress was. I had a seamstress change just a few small details. For one, the neck used to be very high. I couldn't even zip it up all the way--I guess I have a fat neck. Also, the sleeves used to be full-length. Thirdly, the bodice was made to fit 1970s cone-shaped bras. The seamstress did her best to fix that as well.

I lost weight during our 14-month engagement, but I never fit into the dress well enough to be able to move very freely, so a few months before the wedding I knew I would have to have an alternate plan for the reception. More on that later.

My good friend Kendra was there to assist. I was so excited that she was able to be in town for the wedding. She had spent the night at the home of our friend who hosted the party the night before, which happened to be on the very same street! So it only made sense that she should come on over, enjoy some lunch and take part in the proceedings.



Though Alayna refused to get dressed herself, she did enjoy seeing me in my dress. She kept saying things like, "Susan gettin' married!" It sounded more like "meh-yeed."




I didn't realize how exciting it would be to finally wear my dress on my wedding day. But once I had it on, I couldn't wipe that huge smile off my face if I tried. If only I could have looked so naturally happy in all my portraits. But, alas, I am not a professional model.




No comments: